Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Still Settling In...

Not much has been going on, trucks come in and then trucks go out.  We haven't been busy on this gate which is probably good since we are still learning the ropes, but I worry that we might become too complacent!  We haven't had any rigs come in past maybe 9:00pm or earlier then 5:30am but just incase I do sleep on the couch fully dressed, can't hurt to be prepared.  Jim gets up about 5:45am and takes care of the gate until I wake up about 8-9:00am and then we both kind of take turns, then we might take a short nap in the afternoons.

Pretty relaxing actually but having read everyone elses' blogs I know that certainly isn't always going to be the case!  To be honest, we are looking forward to a gate that is busier and I'm sure that will happen.  I'm trying hard to learn the regulars names but I'm awful at names, I swear it took me 10 years to remember my husbands!  Not really of course but that's the story I'm sticking to, I don't want the drivers to think I don't care, I do but I remember faces better so I just call everyone "hon".  Cheesy, but friendly.

The only other thing is that I have read in other blogs to get to know your "company man" which is a good idea, but how do you know who that is if they don't introduce themselves that way?  We have met a couple of the inspectors who seem to be in charge back there, and I did meet and talk with their boss (maybe that's him?) but still aren't sure.  I've read it in other places and it is certainly true here, what a nice, polite bunch of guys!  Oh, I just heard from one guy waiting for his water trucks to exit the gate that some of the guys refer to my husband, Jim, as okie.  I don't know why and he hasn't heard that but if that's true then it has to be because of the old straw cowboy hat (obtained in California) that he wears sometimes.  I don't like the hat and it sure isn't "Texan" so it looks like we'll have to get him something else.  Too funny!

Only downfall is that we sure miss the kids and grandkids!  Usually we can get some of them to visit but I'm doubtful that will happen while we are here, so we might have to take a couple of weeks off to visit.  That's it for now, time to walk the dogs.  Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment